GRENFEL TOWER

On the 14th of June 2017 tragedy hit London. The sort of tragedy that would strike a dagger of pain into anyone’s h...





On the 14th of June 2017 tragedy hit London.
The sort of tragedy that would strike a dagger of pain into anyone’s heart.
The sort of tragedy whereby the sheer force of the calamity is cumbersome enough to bring humanity together in wretched unity to weep the loss of human lives.
The sort of tragedy can makes you ask, with fiery emotion or a dejected soul, “how could this happen?”

How on earth could this happen?

I had a really interesting conversation with two friends a couple days ago about the Grenfell Tower tragedy and we discussed the politics, the circumstances and the repercussions of the calamity. But what took paramount in the whole discussion was the immense sorrow and empathy we shared for the victims. It should always come back to the victims. And that’s what this post is about- the lost souls of Grenfell and their loving and grieving families.

I’m not going to talk politics in this post, as I don’t want to divert this post from just being a simple tribute to the victims. Even though I know this post can’t and isn’t soothing any of the grief, I just want to write my condolences. If the fraction of the grief I have in comparison to those directly affected is enough to hurt this much, then I can’t begin the comprehend how the full force of pain must feel- and for that I can’t idly stay silent.

I wrote this on Facebook previously, and it succinctly explains my feelings:

“Unbelievably sad, waking up to the recent tragedies. Someone aptly said on twitter that we must strive against becoming desensitised to these calamities. Force ourselves to remember the humans behind the numbers. I found myself grieving for the victims but also really trying to not think about it. Oh only if the victims had such luxury.
It's incredibly painful to truly empathise but it's a practice that is entirely and completely necessary. Not only for those afflictions in close proximity but for the 'me and you' in distant lands.All I can offer currently is my honest and raw sympathy for all the victims and their loved ones. It's not enough, not even close, and that hurts.”


The fact that their deaths were avoidable and as a result senseless negligence makes me both angry and sad. The fact outside the UK numerous deaths are also as a result of senseless actions- intensified the anger and sadness.

But we can at least make sure unfortunate deaths like this do not occur in vain, by using the anger and pain that is felt to fiercely try and campaign to improve wider society in what ever way we see fit moving forward.
Again I say this with all sincerity, I am sorry Grenfell, I weep with you. And I will strive to not forget.

Tea x


You Might Also Like

0 comments

disqus