COLOUR COLLECTIVE | DAY 6

Hallo all! So let's not gibber gabber about the fact that I have neglected my 7 day blogging extravaganza plan lol. Liste...



Hallo all!

So let's not gibber gabber about the fact that I have neglected my 7 day blogging extravaganza plan lol. Listen I tried ok, lets put our emphasis on whats really important...the trying. :)

I think the next post will be more of a little update post- outlining my current mindset, which thankfully is largely positive at the moment. I've kicked apathy up the bloody arse...but he's a persistent fellow, very charming. Always managing to smooth talk me back to bed for days, where we do unspeakably nasty things...like eating 6-day old chorizo slices.

But let's not ruminate over old flings today, today I want to add one more juicy colour to the colour collective...
Ostensibly Orange. 

So in all honesty, I think I have struggled to start discussing this topic, not because I lacked motivation (first time for everything innit). rather it is because when a topic is either very nuanced or is significant to me the perfectionist in me starts putting up a fight with her well-manicured nails. I want to get it perfect. So I put it off...which is counterproductive and quite frankly a dumb ass approach.
So screw it imma talk hair, and just like the state of my hair right now, it's gunna be messy.


*I'm only speaking of the black experience as that is what immediately corresponds to my experience however my awareness extends to other marginalised groups. Trust, I see you boo.






This post will take you through a journey, my journey, my long ass journey, of curl acceptance. But before focusing on my particular experience, I want to explore the general social, political and cultural landscape and perception regarding curly hair/afros. As well as the attitude of various groups towards the "black hair acceptance" movement. 

Without being intentionally segregating, I feel as though this topic will inevitably resonate more acutely with fellow black females - who feel the external overt and covert aversion towards tight t i g h t curls. But, Larry, even if you don't resonate you can attempt to harken to the issues of your curly sistas.

Ok so firstly. 

1. IS BLACK HAIR ACTUALLY BLACKLISTED:

Many a time I've been very unlucky or blessed (depending on your perception) to stumble upon a plethora of Facebook argument about whether or not 'black' hair in all its variation, is actually looked down upon. I am a humongous advocate for discourse and listening as much as you can to those who you fundamentally disagree with - but that's a blog post for another day. Let's have a lil look at the for and again that I've come to see:

YES IT IS vs NO IT IS NOT:

I fall into this camp. Suprise surprise. Although I can confidently say, as with most things, society has improved itself. Undoubtedly society is less racist/sexist/homophobic, at least in overt terms. Similarly, it is undoubtedly still plagued with covert (and some overt) remnants of its more shameful eras...Charlottesville. I mean, feel as though no more needs to be said to illustrate more work is desperately needed.  But linking back to black hair, modern society has to a large extent overtly come to be increasingly accepting of curly fro's   Nowadays you can spot the odd naturally straight-haired Senorita burning their scalp in order to curl it up [whether that's appropriation or not is an interesting topic to discuss in another post] [gosh who knew the topic of hair was so ample.] As well as magazine's now posting the odd black curly haired celebrity/model on its covers etc.

But important points to ponder upon are
  • Whether the acceptance is restricted to loose 3c curls that are usually prevalent in women of mixed descent. As opposed to short tight afro curls; I feel a though there is definitely a disparity. Which I think I am able to perceive more aptly seeing that my Nigerian ringlets only loosen up when burnt to a crisp by relaxer- which I have rebuked from my life.
  • Which standard of beauty is still put at the forefront is mass media predominantly? Is black hair a peripheral, just "token-ly" tossed in some publications to tick off that marginalised group's representation. If that is the case, is that even fixable? Will one group always have to be predominant, or is it possible to have equal representation of all groups? 
Just some things to ponder on.

An important thing to also note is that the progress that mass media has made, in terms of featuring BW has largely emanated from the external rebellious and subversive fight of majority black women. I remember whilst I was in high school, in like year 8, my sister in college at the time [@grababargain_uk] was writing her sociology essay about the underrepresentation of black women on Stylist Magazine, I think it was, and back in those recent old days, representation was abysmal. It wasn't until black women started hyping up themselves and repetitively telling themselves they are beautiful despite what the external may be saying overtly/covertly, did it seep into main media. I remember hating my hair so vehemently, ramming my dying hair into the hellish embrace of straighteners, who would do just that with no remorse. My desperation for straight hair overpowering the screaming plea for water and moisture my roots were begging for. 
To be fair no self-respecting 2010-2012 emo would spare a curls life. I killed all of them, whilst moshing in my room. 

I recommend watching Good Hair by Chris Rock. I watched some but I need to finish it one of these days. It was hilarious whilst challenging you to contemplatively question your perspective.





2. "BUT ITS JUST HAIR":

In the Facebook comment section arguments, I saw a lot of "literally it's just hair..." "libtards and BLM begs are just being annoyingly sensitive". And in response to that, I saw " you are racist." "You are a white man. Your opinion is invalid" "ok mayonnaise". 
Firstly, if you want to see several examples of how to engage in constructive discussions and you find yourself staring at a facebook argument, gauge your eyes out immediately-  #toptip

But to the "it's just hair" proponents. Hair does at first glance seems trivial ill give you that. But think. obviously, being overtly told that "nappy" hair is ugly. And covertly told the epitome of beauty is exactly the opposite of who you are. You will start to feel shit.  No matter how trivial it may seem, the effects of self-hate that grows from that message are not trivial. 

If you disagree that's fine, or should I say groovy [im petitioning to bring that word back], let me know in the comments why. I promise it will not emulate the cesspit that is Facebook comments...I will try really hard not to call you a "libtard asswipe" or "mayonnaise".

3. MY JOURNEY:

Literally, as I was writing this I has a snowball thought. I could try and source out some embarrassingly hot old photos to show my hair progress in detail. But I feel like that's a juicy enough idea that can be a blog post of its own. So I will bullet point how my journey was like, and go into more detail in an upcoming post. Keep your eyes peeled [as painful as it is to peel your eyes it will be worth it].

  • From my early age, my parents use to shave our hair. I know I'm pissed at them too. 
  • At primary school I had my hair relaxed. If I remember correctly I eagerly asked my mumma to do it for me. So pumped to indulge in the white crack and burn my scalp - good times.
  • Kept that routine of relaxing for a while and fluctuating in between braids till around year 9/10.
  • Around that time I discovered the magic of weave. Magical moment. But only weave with leave out, so I was still relaxing my hair- it was a hot ass mess. 
  • Year 11/12 I found the magic of full weave through an intense session of googling, after seeing a girl I knew with it. oh man, I had the biggest green eyes. But I did not understand how on earth it would work, I just knew it was pricey and my girl Tyra had it. 
  • Late year 12/13, I loved weave and was simultaneously starting to grow to love my natural hair and start transitioning from relaxed to natural. After seeing the natural hair movement on youtube, I was like hell yes!!! but at the same time shit, this looks hard and painful and pricey and did I mention painful. Also, there was so much confusing lingo and just a lot to take in. 
  • Year 13- Now, fully transition to my natural hair, embraced my hair, still more space for self-love to grow, however, I still find myself having unnecessary disdain toward it. However, it's mainly love nowadays. 
  • ALSO, I FOUND WIGS, MAN I LOVE WIGS. IM GOING TO DO A POST ON WIGS. OH MAN. WIGS ARE GROOVY. Honestly, wigs make me so happy !!
Ok so whilst writing this post I gained like 20 more post ideas, isn't that fabulous. 

But again,

Thanks for reading my LOVES !

See you sooner than you think.

tea x x 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

disqus