TEA IN THAILAND PT.1

1. PACKING: WHAT DID I SQUEEZE IN? hi groovy catz, Song : Tune Yards // Look at your hands  Seeing that my soon to be gr...

1. PACKING: WHAT DID I SQUEEZE IN?

hi groovy catz,

Song : Tune Yards // Look at your hands 

Seeing that my soon to be graduate ass is about to [hopefully] maneuver itself into a cushy graduate job and waddle into its cushy graduate life. I decided to do something that would give it a big ol' adventurous kick up the bum. A kick that'll send it flying 5931 miles; all the way to the magical land of Thailand.

My ass isn't wandering alone for 3 weeks, oh no no, it's dragging my good pal @Bonjourchloe along for the ride. As someone who is the polar opposite of those "Pinterest wanderlust" adventurers, its so invaluable to bring Chloe, a fellow inexperienced-scared-of-planes-worry-wart, along with me. It will be fun; scary but hilarious. 

Hence the creation of the expertly named TEA IN THAILAND series. Which was almost nearly named Thaitea, Thaitime, and the worst yet...Tea T(ha)ime. [you have my best mate Tristan to blame for that atrocity]. In these blogs, I hope to give somewhat of a helpful guide for other worry-wart beginner travellers, and also just document the highs and lows, W and L's and just general shenanigans from my own learning experience! 

So now, you can virtually kick your own arse 5931 miles to Thailand and live vicariously through Tea. 

In this post, I'll fill ya' in on my itinerary, backpack info and what I stuffed in it. 

 ITINERARY: WHATS THE PLAN LUV?

The plan is simple enough. In short:
BANGKOK 
(plane)
KRABI
(bus + boat)
KOH SAMUI
(boat)
KOH PHANGAN*
(boat + bus + overnight train)
BANGKOK(train)
CHANG MAI
(train)
BANGKOK
(bye bye rainbow)
HOME
*on the map, it's basically next to Koh Samui. BFFS.
If you're going to Thailand and stumbled across this whilst traversing google, here are some lil' facts that helped me:
You will have to stop @ Bangkok when going in between the North and South.
Travel will most likely be booked when you are there, as the travel agents can sometimes do sweet deals for you. But these sites definitely helped us plan and get a rough budget:


 > Use a google spreadsheet to plan !! (especially if you're a planner like me)
> Great train services, BTS + MRT (£3) that also goes to the airport instead of straight up jumping into a taxi's 
> Beware of scams!!!



WHAT BACKPACK ARE YOU USING?

So the backpack stitch was a bit of a kerfuffle, as we couldn't decide if we wanted one that was massive and we could check it in but have to splash out an extra £20. Or whether a single carry on would suffice. In the end, I ended up choosing the latter. Hence it had to be:
55 x 38 x 20 cm and 7kg (for three weeks) 

My Backpack is a 35L
(which doesn't mean liquid if anyone is confused like I was ha, just means something like the amount you can fit in)

I chose so because, one, I wasn't bringing a lot of liquids. And two, with the help of good friends subtly berating me for trying to bring my whole wardrobe, I managed to cut down the clothes I packed. I did a packing trail run, 3 days before and succeeded in stuffing my bag full 6kg - with the hopes of leaving room for some cheeky purchases when I'm out there. (Yes, elephant pants. Judge me all you like. I'm gleefully judging myself). 



WHATCHA BRINGIN'?




Initially, I'm not going to lie, I took the piss with what I packed. So I unpacked, tried again, and took the piss again. Now, however, I do believe I am only ever so slightly taking the piss. Which at least show some sort of amelioration...thank you. Right so here is what I brought:
CLOTHES 
> 6 knickers
> 2 pairs of socks
> 1 pair of sunglasses
> yellow kimono 
> 8 tops
> 1 playsuit
> 4 dresses (wear one on the plane)
> 2 light scarfs (to use as tops/head wraps)
> 1 legging
> 1 skirt 
> 3 shorts (wear on on the plane)
> 6 bikinis (I was spoilt for choice ok, ha)
> pj top
> towel
> 1 sun hat
> 1 tote bag
> 1 sandal/converses (wearing the converses on route)

EXTRA
> makeup bag (my basics)
> electronics bag (portable charger and plugs)
> a book
> a fan
> bumbag (with money, passport, pen etc)
> 4 wigs


LET THE FUN BEGIN.


This trip is still a surrelistic reality. I think one of the reasons why this trip is such a tangible big embarkment for me and Chloe, is because we have been, not sheltered per say, but more so risk adversed nearly all our lives. We bloody spent lifetimes scouring though, what can only be described as the entirety of the internet in order to placate any and all remnants of fear. At one point we were looking at Thailand car dashcams to gauge how safe the roads are out there. Even worse, Chloe practically tried to take our entire trip through the medium of google maps street view... yes walking, every step. Hahaha. We know it is utterly bonkers. We know people take gap years, yet alone 3 weeks, travelling unplanned and even solo. But even though our fear is somewhat debilitating and tries to prevent us from what will give us fulfilment - we are hopping on that plane come Sunday. 



And for that, I am proud of us. 

It's going to be one hell of a ride, with me Chloe and my 6 bikinis. ha.

Hope you all continue to stay beautiful inside and out.

Tea x








You Might Also Like

0 comments

disqus